Peppermint oil is one of the most frequently used and most versatile essential oils. It can be used for aromatherapy, topically, and even internally. According to a recent study conducted by the USDA Human Research Center, peppermint has significant antimicrobial and antiviral properties. It has been shown to help with allergies, reduce pain and inflammation and it has also been shown to relax the gastrointestinal tract.
1. Muscle and Join Pain Relief
Peppermint essential oil has a cooling, invigorating and anti-inflammatory effect on the body and more specifically, the joins and muscles. Studies show that peppermint oil applied topically has pain relief benefits for fibromyalgia and myofascial pain. To use peppermint oil to relieve joint and muscular pain, apply a few drops to the area and wait for the cooling sensation to begin.
2. Relief from Seasonal Allergies
Peppermint oil offers relief from seasonal allergies. It has been shown to relieve sinus pain and inflammation, and has even been effective at helping those with asthma find relief. This essential oil can be diffused in a diffuser, or it can be rubbed around the neck, temples, or on the chest.
3. Relieves Stomach Pain
To find relief for an upset stomach of any kind, try applying peppermint oil topically to the stomach. The skin will absorb the oil and the medicinal properties in the oil will begin to soothe the upset stomach. You can also ingest food-grade essential oil, so try adding a drop or two to a glass of water the next time you have an upset stomach.
4. Increases Energy
Peppermint oil is a great pick-me-up oil, and the energizing properties can help improve memory, quicken reaction time, and increase alertness without being a stimulant. This is great for those who work any kind of job that requires mental alertness, and can be beneficial for nearly everyone. Simply keeping a small vial of this essential oil as your desk or in your work bag can be a great way to have easy access to this energy boosting oil.
5. Headache and Migraine Relief
Because peppermint oil is great for reducing pain and inflammation, it is a great choice for those who suffer from headaches or migraines. At the onset of head pain, apply peppermint oil to the forehead, temples, jaw, cervical spine, back of the neck and the shoulder areas. Applying this pain relieving oil on all of these spots will guarantee that the area of tension that could be causing the headache will be soothed by peppermint's muscle relaxing properties. If you suffer from nausea associated with headaches or migraines, try rubbing a few drops on your stomach as well to provide instant relief from an upset stomach.
Other ways to use peppermint essential oil:
1. Add a few drops to your favorite, unscented body lotion to not only add a cooling, refreshing sensation for your skin, but to also provide relief from insects and other bugs. Peppermint oil acts as a natural insect repellant, so adding the oil to your lotion is an easy and non-toxic way to protect against unwanted bugs.
2. Add a drop or two to your favorite tea, morning coffee (peppermint mocha, anyone?), sparking water, or even to a mixed drink or a mock-tail for a fun, refreshing and health promoting twist.
3. Peppermint oil is know to increase circulation and boost hair growth, so adding a drop into your shampoo bottle is a great way to give your scalp the extra boost it needs to keep your hair looking and feeling great.